Monthly Archives: October 2013

White beans with chorizo and tomatoes

I am always a little bit proud (well quite a bit actually) of myself when I cook something without a recipe. I mean: when I actually invent a recipe. Of course I often cook without a recipe, but that’s because I know the recipe by heart. Very seldomly do i actually cook something that I invented myself.

Today I made white beans with chorizo. And I may not be the first or the only one who ever made this. But I created this recipe myself, and I have to say, it’s good. And it’s a quick dish too. Takes about 20 minutes all in all.

So here goes, and I am not good with planning amounts, so go with whatever you feel like. You’ll need fresh white beans by the way. Fresh white beans taste much better than the dried ones, and are hardly comparable to the stuff from a can.

  • about 500gr fresh white beans
  • about 100 gram chorizo (actually we had chorizo and another hot garlicy dried italian sausage), cut in small pieces
  • 2-3 spring onions finely sliced
  • one small onion, in thin half rings
  • one garlic clove, sliced
  • tomatoes ( I put in 6, more is ok as well), cut in 6 pieces
  • flat parsley (a bit), roughly chopped


  • Wash the beans and then cook them in enough salty water, it took a little more than 15 minutes until they were done.
  • In the meanwhile cut the onion and chorizo and garlic and slowly fry it in a little oil (I used olive oil).
  • Then, chop the parsley, cut the spring onions and the tomatoes.
  • Add the tomatoes to the onion and chorizo, but not too long before the white beans are done, cause then you’ll just have tomato sauce and I wanted to have some pieces of tomato. Of course, I you rather have sauce…cook them longer.
  • Try whether the beans are done, and if so, throw away there cooking water and add the beans to the pan with the tomatoes and chorizo.
  • Carefully stir and heat through and through so that all flavors are mixed, and then add the spring onions and parsley and eventually salt and pepper to taste. I also added a good splash of good olive oil at this point. Mix well.
  • Done. You are ready to eat. Enjoy!

It’s an Eeny, Meenie, Miney, Moe Cooks’ Challenge! Gevulde Speculaas

In a “celebration” of past Daring Cooks and Daring Bakers challenges, Lisa challenged all of us to search through the Daring Kitchen archives and pick any one we’d like! The REAL challenge was picking which delicious recipe(s) to try!

So, I picked this: Francijn of Koken in de Brouwerij was our January 2013 Daring Bakers’ Hostess and she
challenged us to make the traditional Dutch pastry, Gevulde Speculaas from scratch! That includes making our
own spice mix, almond paste and dough! Delicious!

First of all, I thought it would be nice to do some baking instead of cooking this time. Second, I am Dutch, living in Germany, where it is very hard to get a good gevulde speculaas. Finally, I am Dutch, I love gevulde speculaas, surely I can make this myself??

Well, yes, I can, as it turned out, and it is not even all that bad, but oh my god is that messy! I probably did several things wrong, and I admit I also smuggled a bit by not making my own spice mix. I still had speculaas spices in my cupboard which I wanted to use (sorry).

Except for not using my own spices, I pretty much followed Francijn’s recipe. Making the almond paste was easy (it does become better if you leave it in the refrigerator for two-three days, and making the dough was easy as well.

But, I let the dough rest in the fridge for one whole day and then took it out yesterday after cooking, and then it was completely stone hard. Pffft (i could have known with this amount of butter). So first, I had to wait. Then after it softened somewhat, it turned out quite hard to roll it exactly into the shape of my form, it broke all the time. Which for the bottom was not a real problem, I just pasted it in, but, the second layer on top was really frustrating. The good thing though: you can cover any mistakes with almonds, and in the oven the dough melts together again anyway.

Then another problem was that my almond past was a little too thin. This was basically very very messy, but I got it in, and it looked kind of ok. (and I was sticky afterwards). Anyway, although it was messy and somewhat frustrating, it turned out fine: